Sunday, July 09, 2006

Viva Italia! Zizou Leaves France Empty!

The 2006 FIFA World Cup is history and the game, for those that watched, ended in a memorable fashion. Italy held off France long enough for Zinedine Zidane, France's premier player, to loose his temper and head butt Italy defender Marco Materazzi square in the chest. I can honestly say I've never seen a player kicked out for that action. So, there you go. I month of soccer brought to an end with Penalty kicks and France's sharpshooter Zidane ends his career with a red card in OT. As he was ejected, Zidane walks past the World Cup trophy and doesn't even look at it. I have post links to ESPN, FoxSports, etc at the end of the post to catch up on the highlighs of the match.
An estimated 1,000,000,000 people were expected to watch the World Cup on TV. However, I think thoses numbers are underestimated. Just my opinion. In the US, I'm glad ESPN showed all the games live, even though I had to work. Thanks to the creator of TiVo for allowing me to not miss a match. ESPN also streamed online all the playoff matches, which was a tremendous help to many. Yahoo! sponsored the match and these are their photos and they did a great job.
I didn't do it ref!
Ashamed!

No comments: