Thursday, July 27, 2006

COMPARING THE MAPPING SERVICES, PT 2

I wrote a small post back in April comparing the Mapping services of Google Maps, Yahoo! maps, and MSN. I followed up last week about a Dallas Morning News Article reviewing the programs and got a lot of feedback. Frank Gruber at Techcrunch has written a splendid article about the services and has thrown in the most used site, MapQuest, in the fold. Personally, I do not use MapQuest for my work unless I absolutely have to or it's tied into another program. Using MapQuest can be frustrating sometimes. It lacks accuracy for my daily work, so it's kinda like asking a Wal-Mart employee for help. You just don't know what you'll get, if you get an answer at all. Frank Gruber concluded that Yahoo! Maps was his favorite and they have come a long way since April. It used to be MSN had the coverage, but their images were outdated. Over the last few months, I have leaned toward Yahoo! in my daily work because even though they do not have the zoom like Google Maps, they have a good database for finding obscure and newer roads.

No comments: